Sunday, November 18, 2007

Spinach Dip


On Saturday evening, I went to my friend Kate's house for a Broad Street Presbyterian Church "young adults" get-together. I have only known Kate for a short time (since we both were ordained as new deacons last spring) but have quickly come to consider her a friend, and I hope to continue to become better friends with her in the future. Kate and I have a lot in common, including 1) being really active at church yet having a husband who stays as far away from church as possible, and 2) having big hips. We understand each other. =)
Anyway, there was a group of about ten of us who gathered at Kate's house to drink wine, eat some food, and enjoy each other's company. It was a really diverse group that showed up: single people, married couples, married people who were alone (Jason stayed home... was too afraid we would end up talking about Jesus? We didn't.); different races, coming from different parts of town; some knew each other well and some were brand new. We had some great conversation and now will have a few more friendly faces to look for on Sunday mornings. I think it was everything you could want from that type of gathering.
I showed up with Carolyn and brought a bottle of my current favorite wine (Alamos Malbec, pictured above) and an appetizer: a new spinch dip recipe I had gotten from recipezaar.com (where else?) and some tortilla chips. The wine was a hit and the spinach dip was too.
I am usually reluctant to take photos of my food, because I know they end up coming out so bad, but this was one time I was really disappointed to not have my camera with me. I would have liked to visually document this delicious appetizer, as well as a fantastic time spent with new friends.
Here is the recipe. As I told my mom and sisters today, I think this has knocked our old standard Spinach-and-Artichoke Dip out of the top spot.
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, split into 2-1/2 cup portions
1 (8 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
1. Defrost the spinach.
2. Place it in a colander and press until as much moisture as possible is removed.
3. Mix all ingredients (using only 1/2 of the cheddar) and blend well.
4. Put it in a shallow baking dish in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
5. Remove from oven.
6. While still hot top it with remaining cheese, heat in oven again for 5 minutes.
7. Remove and cool slightly before serving with tortilla chips.
When assembling this I started trying to mix it by hand with a wooden spoon, but then decided to mix it in the KitchenAid mixer instead. That ended up working really well. You could probably also mix it in a food processor but that would end up really chopping up the spinach.

No comments: