Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Toffee Pecan Cookies

Unfortunately, I have no photos to accompany this entry, which is really a shame because this was the one time I did something really cute and creative that I thought up on my own to serve the cookies, AND the recipe was a hit. But what can you do.

On Saturday night, Jessie (the young associate pastor at my church, the one who did Jason's and my wedding) had a gathering at her house. She promised heavy appetizers, so I emailed to ask if I could bring anything. She suggested that I could bring something sweet if I wanted to. I decided to take the opportunity to try out two cookie recipes I had been wanting to make.

Both recipes were from Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook by Kathleen King. The first recipe I tried was for a cookie called Chocolate Jumbles. It was basically a chocolate cookie with white chocolate chips, and it came out terrible. The cookies were really dry and not chocolately enough. The second recipe I tried was for a cookie called Toffee Pecan Cookies, which was an oatmeal cookie with toffee bits and pecans. I thought the Toffee Pecan Cookies were okay... they were tasty, but still a little dry. They were good but nothing spectacular.

Well I must have underestimated the Toffee Pecan Cookies because I heard from numerous people at the party that they were 'amazing.' And I overheard one guy telling someone else that they were 'like crack' and that he wanted to steal some to take home with him. Unfortunately for him, they were all gone before the night was over!

The cute and creative serving method I was referring to was that I emptied the rest of the oatmeal into a ziploc baggie, and took the cookies to the party inside two Quaker Oats containers. I lined the containers with wax paper but I think it would have been even cuter to line them with some tissue paper that color-coordinated with the package!

Here's the recipe. I think the cookies would also taste good with the addition of some mini chocolate chips!

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 cups instant quick oats
1 cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups toffee bits (I used the Heath Bar bits that are sold in the baking aisle near the chocolate chips)
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease two cookie sheets or line them with Silpat.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and oatmeal. Set it aside.

In another large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until creamy. Add the egg and mix well. Add the vanilla and mix. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.

Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat them until combined. Don't overmix. Stir in the toffee bits and pecans.

Using two tablespoons, drop the cookie dough two inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.

Bake them for 12 to 15 minutes for chewy cookies and 18 to 20 minutes for crunchy cookies. The crunchy cookies will be browner in the middle and firmer to the touch.

No comments: