Sunday, September 16, 2007

My Corn-Hole is Full


This is Jason, doing a guest post in honor of my "preparing" a dish Friday. Heather and I were scheduled to go to some friends' house for a barbecue and Heather agreed to make the side dish, a corn casserole. Of course, Heather has a job (unlike me) so when she was running late getting home Friday after work, it fell on my shoulders to "prepare" the casserole. I am no expert in the kitchen but I did my best following Heather's over the phone instructions and there was general agreement that the casserole turned out edible. The following is my interpretation of the ingredients, hopefully for your sake Heather will add in her version before posting.

1 can of something Heather left on the counter (Note: try not to look at this stuff or get it on you because it's kind of gross) (This would be one can of cream-style corn --Heather)

1 can of something else Heather left on the counter (Note: see previous note) (This would be a can of whole-kernel sweet corn. Do not drain. --H)

1 box of stuff Heather left on the counter (This is a box of Jiffy cornbread mix. Thank God I had left this stuff sitting on the counter when I brought it home from the store and didn't have to worry about whether he was grabbing the correct cans/boxes. --H)

2 eggs - be careful not to leave shells in the eggs but don't worry unless it's really big pieces (I emphasized to Jason that he should crack the eggs into another dish instead of directly into the mixing bowl so he could make sure there were no shells at all, not just big ones! :-) He assures me that he actually did this.--H)

some certain amount of melted butter - I can't remember how much butter and I didn't know how to melt butter but Heather was able to talk me through it (1/4 cup of butter or margaine --H)

mix all of this in one big bowl

pour into another big bowl (casserole dish, greased. --H)

put second big bowl in oven - set timer for one hour (note: preheat oven to 325 setting because then oven will heat to 375, or so Heather tells me) (I have an oven thermometer, and we generally have to set the dial at about 50 degreees lower than the temperature we actually want. So, the casserole should be cooked at 375 degrees. --H)

I did actually try the casserole and it wasn't too bad, even though it had vegetables in it.
(Jason did a good job, and this dish was delicious! I would definitely make it again. I have previously tried a recipe for something similar that included sour cream, and this was much better. The sour cream made the other dish too moist, and this was more like cornbread. Jason, I appreciate you making the dish and blogging about it. :-) --H)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As one of the lucky people who had the chance to enjoy Jason's version of Heather's corn bake on Friday, I can attest to the fact that it was very tasty! :)

Sue