Saturday, September 29, 2007

Some general comments about redoing the bathroom

  • Thanks, previous owners, for painting over wallpaper. Those seams look really great.
  • Thanks as well for applying a new layer of flooring directly over the previous layer. Twice. Once we removed those layers and installed our new one, we had about 1/8 inch gap between the floor and the trim in some places.
  • I am still puzzled by the look of the door not matching the color of the door frame. This is something that has bugged me throughout this house since before we moved in. Maybe some day I will paint the doors to match the trim, but for now we decided to only paint over the previously painted surfaces.
  • The paint color was supposed to be a light brown taupe. Instead it looks like a light purple. It still looks nice but I would not have chosen to have another purple bathroom (our basement bathroom is purple too).
  • Sometimes directions from a trusted source (i.e. Reader's Digest Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual) don't work, and you have to make it up your own way. This is what happened when we were figuring out how to cut the floor tiles. That floor is the thing I am most proud of because it was the biggest pain in the ass and I didn't think we could make it work.
  • I was worried that doing this home improvement project would cause tension between Jason and me. As my boss said, 'This will be a test of your marriage!' Instead, we were united in our hatred for doing home improvement projects. There was still tension but it was because we were so pissed at things like the above-mentioned many layers of floor, or surprise holes in the wall that we had to figure out how to cover (i.e. behind the medicine cabinet).
  • When I look at the Before and After photos posted below, I realize that the previous bathroom wasn't really that bad. I didn't mind the green walls or the wood fixtures. It was just that damn towel bar falling off that started this whole thing!!
  • I'm satisfied with the work we did but starting to think about things we didn't do but maybe should have. The new shower curtain bar, towel bars, light fixture, and medicine cabinet are all oil-rubbed bronze. Now I feel like the color of the cabinet should be stained darker to match, maybe a cherry or something. I'll save that for a future project. Also, the switchplates are white and the light switches are a yellowish color. This is another weird thing that is like that THROUGHOUT THE HOUSE. I totally forgot about that and will have to switch those out at some point.

No comments: